CPD is any activity where an individual learns new skills or knowledge relevant to their professional role. CPD is an ongoing cyclical process, which includes the following steps;
- Individual reflection on practice to assess knowledge and skills,
- Identification and prioritisation of learning needs,
- Planning actions required to meet identified learning needs,
- Implementing the learning plan,
- Reflecting on and evaluating the effectiveness of the learning,
- Recording the learning.
Continual Professional Development (CPD) is an organic learning process that includes a documented history of learning throughout ones professional career. It grows and develops with the professional through their objectivity, reasoning and reflective thought processes. It underpins the ethical and moral responsibility of the professional. The results of CPD are outcomes that may be translated into safe and effective Clinical Practice.
CPD is an essential and integral part of being a healthcare professional today.